PO stands for Probationary Officer. They play a very crucial role in the functioning of banks.
Bank PO is the first level of officer cadets in the banking industry. As the banking jobs are transferable, bank POs have to work in a single branch for a maximum of 3 years. They are the newcomers who are in their probation period. A Probationary Officer should be aware of the laws of the banking industry and perform the banking works efficiently. They get their probation period to gain knowledge of their work and learn their practical implementation. They get it to become more efficient.
Bank PO is a great career opportunity and every year a lot of aspirants attempt the exam to become a probationary officer in a bank. The job has a promising future. The people who have completed their bachelor’s can sit for the Bank PO exam. And their age should be between 21 years to 30 years. Though there is relaxation for the reserved sections. Multiple institutes offer to coach the aspirants who want to attempt the Bank PO exam.
Types of Bank POs
There are multiple sub-disciplines of Bank POs. These are:
- Administrative Assistant
- Account Clerk
- Bank Clerk
- Insurance Analyst
- Credit Manager
- Insurance Officer
Job Roles of a PO
A Probationary Officer has to perform multiple tasks. They get appointed to assist the branch manager in every financial work. The duties they usually perform are:
- Cash Handling: They take care of the bank’s cash section including the deposition and withdrawal of cash.
- Reporting and Verification: They need to create and close new accounts every day that will perform banking operations daily. They have to maintain the database and documents also. The POs should take care of each transaction and report any discrepancies.
- Business Promotion: The POs have to promote the deals of the bank to organizations and clients.
- Customer Service: They have to help the clients with the queries they have. They must solve any issue the clients are facing.
- Clearance of Payment: The clearance of any payment requires a PO’s approval and permission. This is also one of their multiple duties.
Career Path Progression For A Bank PO
Bank PO is a person appointed at this position who gets multiple promotions by experience and clearance of exams. The hierarchy follows like this:
- Bank Probationary Officer
- Assistant Bank Manager
- Bank Branch Manager
- Chief Manager
- Assistant General Bank Manager
- Deputy General Manager
- Chief General Manager
- General Manager
Which Bank POs Get The Highest Salary?
Bank Probationary Officers of State Bank of India get the highest amount of salary among all the bank’s POs. Even the public sector banks do not offer them as equal. Though the public sector banks offer more salary than the private banks.
Bank PO is not a stressful job. Especially for the candidates who have cleared the 4 stage selection process to achieve it. The role has a lot of opportunities to learn. Facing and managing new challenges every day can be hectic, but one can handle this moderate level of stress.