LastPass is a very popular password manager tool.
It provides various unique features to its users like password sharing, two-factor authentication etc.
What does Lastpass do?
It enhances your online security by managing your logins.
It ensures you have a strong, unique password for every online account.
In the LastPass application, you need to create a password which is called Master Password.
It is necessary for you to create it when you initially signed up for your LastPass account.
And when you log in to LastPass, you are required to enter your email address and master password.
But in case your LastPass Master Password not working, then don’t panic.
Because in this guide we will discuss why is LastPass master password not working and how to fix LastPass master password not working.
Why Is LastPass Master Password Not Working?
There could have been several reasons why the LastPass master password not working.
We have listed below some of the primary reasons that might cause issues in the LastPass master password not working.
These are as follows:
- The most prominent reason that the LastPass master password is not working is due to some technical issue in the app.
- If there are some internal bugs or glitches with the extension of the app, then also you might face trouble with the LastPass master password.
- If the app contains unnecessary data or there is a storage issue then it may be a cause behind the LastPass master password not working.
- If you are entering your LastPass master password wrong then you will face some trouble with that. Your LastPass master password should be correct while login to LastPass.
- LastPass master password might not be working when you try to log in from the app itself. Because many times the app undergoes some maintenance to fix some errors.
- If you are using the old or outdated version of LastPass then probably the LastPass master password issue might arise.
These could be the major reasons behind the LastPass master password not working.
You can fix these reasons and correct this arising issue.
How To Fix LastPass Master Password Not Working?
As password issues are very frequent and common.
You can fix the issue related to the LastPass master password by taking the following measures:
1. Try Logging Into The Website
LastPass master password might not be working when you try to log in from the app itself.
Because many times the app undergoes some maintenance to fix some errors.
In this case, you can try logging into the App website. All you need to do is:
- Go to any browser.
- Search https://lastpass.com.
- Try login to LastPass by putting your LastPass account information.
If you are able to sign in there then it will be needed for you to uninstall the extension and re-install and test your login again.
2. By Avoiding Any Typos
If you are entering your LastPass master password wrong then you will face some trouble with that.
Your LastPass master password should be correct while login to LastPass.
All you can do here is Just type your LastPass Master Password in a text document and copy/paste to ensure that there are no typos.
Also, check whether Caps Lock is enabled or disabled on your keyboard.
3. By Using The Password Hint Option
Password Hint may prove to be very helpful in case you have forgotten your LastPass Master Password.
Remember you can only use this method only when you have previously set a password hint.
If you have, then follow these steps if your LastPass Master Password not working using Password Hint:
- Go to Lastpass.com and click on login button.
- After that tap “Forgot password”
- Now, Enter your Email ID and then click on Send Hint.
Then a mail will be sent to you.
Open it and look at the password hint which is provided to you in that mail.
Try to remember your LastPass Master Password by looking at the password hint carefully.
If it makes you remember the password, then you see it to log in to LastPass.
4. By Recovering Your LastPass Account
If the hint does not help you, then you can resolve the issue of the LastPass master password not working by recovering your account.
Follow these steps:
- Reach out to the Account Recovery page to activate your Local One Time Password.
This will allow you to change your Master Password if you have logged into LastPass previously on that computer.
It is the only way to reset your password.
You need to try this method on all browsers and all computers where you have used the LastPass plugin to access your account.
Remember you can not use this method on mobile devices.
And also if you have apparently changed your LastPass master password, reverted your LastPass account or cleared the browser cache, then also you cannot use this method.
But you can still give try.
5. Through Reverting Master Password Change
If you have updated your Master Password within the last 30 days.
Then you can reach out to these steps to revert to your previous Master Password.
6. Reinstall LastPass
If there are some internal bugs or glitches with the extension of the app, then also you might face trouble with the LastPass master password.
To get rid of the bugs and glitches, you can reinstall the application.
Follow these steps to reinstall LastPass on your browser:
- Go to Settings of your browser.
- Tap More Tools, and then click on Extensions.
This will open all the extensions which are installed on your browser.
- Then select LastPass and tap the Remove button to uninstall it.
- Close your browser. Wait for a few minutes and then open it.
- Reach out to the Extensions page.
- Then click on the hamburger icon at the top left corner.
- Click on Open Chrome Web Store.
- Search for LastPass and install it.
Now check if the issue related to the LastPass Master Password is resolved or not.