RPCS3 is a well-known emulator for PlayStation 3 games, letting you play them on your computer.
But, like all software, it can sometimes run into problems.
One of the issues that many users face is an error message saying, “RPCS3 booting failed The selected file or folder is invalid or corrupted.”
The full error message reads: “Booting failed: The selected file or folder is invalid or corrupted.”
In this article, we will explore the potential causes of this error and explore effective solutions to fix it.
What Causes RPCS3 Booting Failed The Selected File Or Folder Is Invalid Or Corrupted?
When attempting to run a game on the RPCS3 emulator, the error “RPCS3 booting failed: The selected file or folder is invalid or corrupted” may appear.
1. Corrupted Game Files
This error can occur for a variety of reasons.
A common reason for the “RPCS3 booting failed” error is corrupted game files.
If your game files are damaged or incomplete, RPCS3 can’t start the game.
2. Outdated RPCS3 Version
Using an old RPCS3 version can cause problems and errors.
To play smoothly and avoid the “invalid or corrupted file or folder” error, make sure your emulator is up-to-date.
3. Insufficient System Requirements
RPCS3 has certain computer requirements for games to work correctly.
If your PC doesn’t meet these, you might see errors like the one about botting failed issues.
How To Fix RPCS3 Booting Failed The Selected File Or Folder Is Invalid Or Corrupted?
To resolve the issue, first, check the game files, then ensure that you are using the updated version of the application.
If these don’t work, then verify the system requirements, and finally, uninstall and then reinstall the application.
We have discussed the fixes in greater detail below.
1. Check The Game File
Check if your game file is complete and not corrupted.
If it’s damaged, download it again from a trustworthy source.
2. Check For RPCS3 Update
If you’re still having trouble with the issue, it’s worth checking if there are any new updates for RPCS3.
Once you’ve updated the Launcher app, check to see if the issue remains or has been resolved.
To check for updates in RPCS3, follow these steps:
- Launch the RPCS3 emulator on your computer.
- RPCS3 includes an auto-updater. When you start the emulator, it will automatically check for updates. If an update is available, you’ll be prompted to accept, deny, or disable updates.
- It’s a good idea to let RPCS3 update automatically. This way, you’ll get all the latest improvements and fixes to keep your RPCS3 up to date.
3. Check System Requirements
Check if your computer meets RPCS3’s system requirements.
It needs a strong CPU and GPU, along with a good amount of RAM.
Here are the RPCS3 system requirements:
- CPU: AMD with 6 cores and 12 threads, or 8 cores with AMD Zen 2 architecture or newer. Avoid AMD Threadripper 1000 and 2000 series.
- RAM: At least 8GB is recommended, but for best performance, go for 16GB or more. To emulate most games smoothly, you’ll need 64GB+ DDR5-5200 RAM.
- GPU: Your GPU should support OpenGL 4.3 or higher, with Vulkan being the better choice. A GPU like the 3060 is recommended for true 4K gaming.
- Operating System: You’ll need a 64-bit OS, with support for Windows 7, 8, 10, 11, Linux, FreeBSD, and macOS.
4. Uninstall And Reinstall The RPCS3
If nothing else has fixed the issue, try uninstalling RPCS3 from your device and then reinstall it from the official website.
After reinstalling the RPCS3 check if the issue of the Booting failed has been resolved or not.
Here are the steps to uninstall and reinstall RPCS3:
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings menu.
- Go to Apps or Apps & features in the Settings menu.
- In the search bar, type RPCS3 to locate the RPCS3 application.
- Once you find RPCS3 in the list, click on it to select it.
- Click on the three dots (or More options) button, usually located next to the app’s name.
- From the dropdown menu, choose Uninstall to remove RPCS3 from your PC.
- Download the RPCS3 installation file from the official website.
- Once the download is complete, locate the file and run it to install RPCS3 on your PC.
5. Contact RPCS3 Support
If the previous solutions didn’t work, it’s best to reach out to RPCS3 support for assistance.
You can contact them through their Discord server.
They can give you personalized guidance and solutions that are more suitable for you.
- How To Fix GameLoop Engine Installation Failed Please Reinstall
- How To Fix IRacing Service Not Available
- How To Fix Cyberpunk 2077 Encountered An Error Caused By Corrupted Or Missing Scripts File
- Fix: VALORANT Failed To Launch Something Unusual Happened
- Fix: 38 Files Failed To Validate And Will Be Reacquired MW2 Or Warzone 2