Hey gamers, we get it—seeing an “Error Code 126” pop up when you’re trying to play Counter-Strike 2 (CS2) is super annoying.
This error can mess up your plans for an epic gaming session.
But don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
We’ve put together this easy-to-follow guide to help you fix this error and get back to gaming.
How To Fix Counter-Strike 2 (CS2) Error Code 126
1. Run The Game As An Admin
The first thing you can try is running the game as an administrator.
It’s super easy:
- Find the Game File: Go to the folder where you installed CS2. It’s usually in a folder called “Program Files.”
- Right-Click: Find the game’s executable file, which is usually named “CS2.exe,” and right-click on it.
- Choose ‘Run as Administrator’: A menu will pop up. Choose “Run as administrator.”
This step can help you get around some of the restrictions that might be causing the error.
Step 2: Update Your Software Like DirectX And Microsoft Visual C++
DirectX is a piece of software that helps your computer run games.
If it’s outdated, you might get Error 126. Here’s how to update it:
- Open ‘Run’: Press the Windows key and the letter ‘R’ at the same time.
- Type ‘dxdiag’: A box will appear. Type “dxdiag” and hit Enter.
- Check for Updates: A new window will open. Go to the “System” tab and see what version of DirectX you have. If you need to update, go to Microsoft’s website and download the latest version.
Another important piece of software is Microsoft Visual C++.
Here’s how to update it:
- Go to Microsoft’s Website: Got to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable download page.
- Download and Install: Pick the right version for your computer (either x86 or x64) and install it.
3. Install Extra Tools
If you’ve tried everything above and it’s still not working, you can try installing some extra tools for the game.
- Open Steam: Start up your Steam client.
- Go to Your Library: Click on the “Library” tab.
- Find CS2: Right-click on the game and choose “Properties.”
- Go to DLC: Click on the “DLC” tab.
- Install Workshop Tools: Find “Counter-Strike 2 Workshop Tools” and install it.
Once it’s installed, try running the game again through the Workshop Tools.
- How To Fix Counter Strike 2(CS2) Error Code 1114
- How To Fix The Code Execution Cannot Proceed Because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll Was Not Found
- How To Fix “VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL Was Not Found” In League Of Legends
- How To Fix “Some Of Your Game Files Have Been Detected To Have No Signatures Or Invalid Signatures” In CS2
- How To Fix FIFA 23 DirectX Error